Friday, April 23, 2010

I love your sushi roll, hotter than wasabi.*

Yes, it's me again.

Celebratory, fun things happen when you get finished with 2 months of never sleeping in past 7 am and working on the weekends.   My idea of fun apparently involves causing rhinorrhea with Thai food and visiting a field of hot air balloons.  The latter is on my Facebook page if you care, but the former will be discussed here. 

I decided to visit the "best Thai place in Louisville" today, Simply Thai in St. Matthews.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, since I've been spoiled by having 5 Thai restaurants in my college town (2 of which sucked).  (One of them had a lunch buffet with a wonderful tofu/bamboo curry that made me cry of spiciness every time...and I loved it.  I took Mr. S. there and he managed to find the one curry with peanut sauce in it.  That was a sad day.)


It's tiny, and quite full, with people sitting outside and inside its lavender walls.  So far, so good.


I ordered my usual Thai comfort food, red curry with tofu.  I was disappointed about the lack of vegetable variety in the menu items--my dish only had bamboo shoots.  I think I'm used to the curries with bamboo, eggplant, basil, tofu, chicken, green beans....etc.  But that's okay.  

Prices were reasonable, ranging from $10 (most dishes) to $19 (sea bass).  I don't look at appetizers or desserts or wines, because I am not a real restaurant critic.  And I don't have that kind of money.


The wait was long, about 25 minutes.  I attributed this to the huge take-out orders they filled and to the fact that the restaurant was full.  I counted 13 Pad Thai dishes and at least 6 spring roll appetizers go by me as I sat hungrily staring....maybe I should've gotten those instead?







This fulfilled my expectations for red curry; it was creamy and VERY spicy.  The tofu was lightly fried and soft.  The rice was dry; I haven't found restaurant rice to be moist, ever, unless it's coated in oil and fried (ie, Chinese buffets).  Halfway through the bowl, I remember thinking "This isn't spicy, this is ridiculous," until it all hit me at once and I was gulping down water as if I was severely dehydrated.  I considered taking the rest home but my inner monologue told me to "quit being a p----". 

The spiciness rating was a 4, in case you were wondering (on a scale of 1-5, from mildest to spiciest).  I don't want to know what a 5 tastes like... :-O

If this is as good as it gets, then I might be back for any future Thai cravings. But I'll still be looking for a favorite Thai place.


*They serve sushi too, but getting sushi at a Thai place sounds about as logical as expecting good bratwurst and spaetzle at a French restaurant.  Eight pieces per roll for ~$7-9 doesn't sound like a bad deal though.

Simply Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away.