Saturday, April 24, 2010

How to use up dying vegetables

I decided today that it was time to get rid of the misc. veggies laying around: a Japanese eggplant, a yellow bell pepper, a few mushrooms, and a tiny handful of peas.  I was still craving curry so I decided to make the only Indian dish that's been successful for me, baingan bharta.  The recipe is here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baingan-Bharta-Eggplant-Curry/Detail.aspx

Changes:
--I do not have cumin seeds, but cumin powder works just as well.
--I was too lazy to create a ginger/garlic paste, so I tossed slices of both in and hoped for the best.
--I used garam masala instead of curry powder.  This probably alters the taste somewhat; I need to try it the "right" way.  :)
--Oh yeah, I added chicken too.  Because I am a member of PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals).  

I burned my first batch of cumin covered onions.  :(

 Fortunately, I got it right the second time:


Roasting the eggplant (which I did not do the first time I made this) really does make a difference.  

In other news, the Hitler Downfall parodies are hilarious.  Here is the one that started it all: http://vbox7.com/play:609ceef4

It's on a Russian site since YouTube is taking them down for copyright infringement... :\

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away.