Monday, February 7, 2011

The search continues.

I'm usually a "grab a 99 cent cake mix at the store" kind of girl.  Why not?  It's easy and convenient.  I can count the number of times I've baked a cake from scratch on one hand. My first attempt was a chocolate cake for my mom's birthday several years ago (yummy).  Much later, I decided to make red velvet cake balls entirely from scratch after working with a Duncan Hines mix made me look like I'd just partaken in a bloodbath.  The result was okay, although it did not taste noticeably different than a mix.

Anyway, today was the third time, and I decided to try a yellow cake recipe.

Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Davids-Yellow-Cake/Detail.aspx 

Changes: 
-I used 4 whole eggs instead of 8 egg yolks (no plans for meringue on the horizon...)
-I made cupcakes, so I baked them for ~19 minutes.  That was overkill, as you will see.


 Toasted.  I tried one immediately after pulling them out (I never, ever follow the "Let [baked good] sit for one hour before eating" silliness) and was irritated.  Eggy.  Very, very eggy AND greasy.  My cute Valentine's Day cupcake liners were completely soaked with butter.  This may be my own fault for substituting whole eggs, but multiple people did that too and reviewed it as tasting awesome.  :\  Mr. S. told me that it tasted "spongy, like an angel food cake." 
While I was waiting for the cupcakes to finish baking, I'd whipped up a batch of buttercream frosting.  To not let it go to waste, I decided to practice both my (limited) piping skills and my new marshmallow fondant rose skill, picked up at The Twisted Sifter cake decorating class last week.  :)

Now to find someone to eat these.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away.