Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Unimpressed yet again.

I visited Corbett's: An American Place, a couple of weeks ago.  This restaurant has a very high reputation (much like Seviche) and I know a couple of people who adore it.  Just the name alone struck me as being ostentatious, but maybe I'm being nit-picky.

It's important to note that I did not pay for this dinner (so thanks, Novo!).  I unfortunately don't have many pictures because I was trying to be on my best behavior, so I will quote the menu and state my opinions. 

Shrimp & Grits
Fried Quail Egg, Maple Syrup, Chorizo & Kentucky Cheddar

This was by far the best looking and tasting of the appetizers.  The grits were yellow and atypical, and the shrimp were tiny.  I couldn't taste either maple syrup or chorizo, but the presentation was lovely and I especially liked the egg.

Skirt Steak
Crispy Tortilla, Roasted Poblano & Jalapeño  Sauce
This was okay.  I tasted the poblano pepper very faintly, but I have no idea where the jalapeno sauce was.  The crispy tortilla strips kept falling off.  When I finally did try one, it just tasted like a Frito.  *yawn* 

Mushroom Medley, Reggiano, Truffled Bread Crumbs

The worst of the three---bland and unimaginative.  This tasted creamy and was dull despite the textured bread crumbs.

Main Course:
Prime Filet
Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Risotto, Asparagus,
Roasted Baby Carrots, Espagnole Sauce

The steak was well flavored, but very chewy.  (I'm not a big filet mignon fan, though.)  The risotto was a little too overpowering (probably due to the goat cheese).  I don't remember much about the vegetables, except that they were there and I ate them all.  The plate was lukewarm and turned cold after about 2 minutes.  That stuck with me the most, unfortunately. 

Vanilla & Chocolate
Mini Vanilla Bean Creme Brulée,
Moist Chocolate Cake, Whipped Ganache,
Passionfruit Syrup

The creme brulee was good, although missing the caramelized crust.  It tasted of vanilla bean and was the perfect size.  The chocolate cake was rich and moist.  I do not care for passionfruit syrup (which is slightly tangy) but I didn't mind it on this dessert.  (The maimed portion of the cake is courtesy of Mr. S., who got a little too excited...and dare I say greedy.) 

Corbett's An American Place on Urbanspoon


  1. Your reviews of restaurants are well written and very informative... do you post reviews on urbanspoon? I think you should!

    As for the maimed dessert pic (LMAO!)... I always begin dinner with... let me get a picture first!!

  2. Let me rephrase... your reviews are well written, revealing, detailed and highly entertaining!

  3. Thanks! I don't write for Urbanspoon, but I go there all the time. I also have the app for it on my iPod Touch. :)


Fire away.