Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cinnamon rolls!

Something was off with the dough today...I think it's because I took the lazy route and kneaded it with the KitchenAid.  This dough is SO sticky!

I was hoping to get 16 rolls, but 10 will do.
Before priming...honestly, they didn't change size much when priming so I cut the time short to ~45 min.

I don't think I'll ever get one of these out again.  The texture was marvelous and I like being able to control how much fondant glaze I can put over these.  This was well worth the 3-4 hours of work.  :)

Recipe (from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice):
6 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
5 1/2 tbsp shortening/unsalted butter/margarine (I used the butter.)
1 large egg
1 tsp lemon extract/zest of 1 lemon (I left this out.)
3 1/2 cups unbleached bread or all-purpose flour (I used regular AP flour.  Next time I'll use King Arthur.)
2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/8- 1 1/4 cups whole milk/buttermilk at room temp.  OR 1 cup and 3 tbsp of water and powdered milk respectively (I used buttermilk.)
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (6 1/2 tbsp sugar + 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon)
White Fondant Glaze (will follow)

1. Cream sugar, salt, and butter together.  Add egg, then flour, yeast, and milk.  Mix on low speed/stir by hand until it all forms a ball.  Knead with machine for 10 minutes, or by hand for 12-15 min, until the dough is tacky but not sticky.  Oil a large bowl, toss the dough ball lightly in the oil, and cover with plastic wrap.  Ferment for 2 hours.

2. Mist counter with spray oil.  Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. Roll out the dough on the counter into a rectangle, ~ 12" wide x 14" long x 2/3" high.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over dough, and roll into a log.  Slice the log (seam side down) into desired number of pieces.  Put rolls on parchment paper, ~1/2 inch apart.

4. Proof at room temp. for 75-90 min.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

5. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Notes:

-I had a LOT of cinnamon sugar leftover.  Personally, the amt. required was overkill.
-I didn't roll up the log of dough tightly enough.  Also, I did not spray my counter with oil and so it was difficult handling the dough.
-This blog taught me the difference between "tacky" vs. "sticky."  http://yumarama.com/blog/1644/sticky-vs-tacky-dough/


White Fondant Glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla* OR lemon extract OR orange extract
3 tbsp- 1/4 cup warm milk (I used 3 tbsp)

Whisk until dissolved.  Add the milk as needed for a thick and smooth glaze.
Use a fork or whisk to apply glaze to slightly cooled rolls.  (Or else, as I discovered the hard way, the sugar will melt completely into your roll and it won't be quite as pretty.)

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Definitely drooling! Where did you get the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these! But I added apples to the filling and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I'm glad that it turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Fire away.